Knowing is Half the Prattle.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Literally the dumbest thing I've seen all day.

My favorite misused word in the English language is literally misused again. I don't think people literally know what the word "literally" actually means. I'm not one to be a language snob but this one particuarly annoys me because I see it all the time.

According to "Alchemists - International" they specialize in "Literally Turning Lead Into Gold®". Um... no they can't do that. They really mean that they can figuratively turn lead into gold by helping you improve your business performance. So they're not actual alchemists either.

Maybe they should go to dictionary.com for a definition.

Literally -

  1. in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?
  2. in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.
  3. actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.
  4. in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually.


I'm sorry, but "literally" doesn't mean "figuratively" in a really strong way.

According to this person ... The film "Arjuna" will "literally grab you by the throat and won't let you go".

I don't think when I go to see a movie I want to be literally grabbed by the throat especially if the film wrapped around my throat won't let go.

And even supposedly professional reviewers do the same thing.

A review for the movie Fallen with Denzel Washington
“It will literally grab you.”
- Jim Ferguson, PREVUE CHANNEL

and if you want to be literally grabbed by the throat again.

Try listening to the Country album Milly's Cafe I think the album however is willing to let go.

No comments: