Knowing is Half the Prattle.

Friday, September 01, 2006

How some internet companies try to make money off of free music.

I find things like this every once in a while. Here is a company that is trying to make money off of MP3s that are freely available on the internet. Here is a listing of songs that they downloaded off my previous band's (Tortuga) website. They want you to use their download application (for $30) and with that application you can then download the songs that we were giving away for free. They're also making money off of ads on their site. I have no idea what the other catches are because I haven't downloaded their software. Yeah, technically they're selling the software not the music, but there are plenty of free programs that do the same thing. I'm not sure if they already downloaded the songs to their servers or they just redirect you to the links they found to the songs. If it's the links then you're not getting anything because they are dead links and I assume that 50% of all their other "songs" also point to dead links as well.

No comments: